Friends of Cherry Hinton C of E Primary School
Welcome to The Friends
Thank you for taking the time to find out about how we support our children and teaching staff at Cherry Hinton Primary School.
Important news - our AGM is taking place on Wednesday, 25 September, 14:30 - 15:15 in the school hall. Please join us - more info coming by Parentmail.
What do The Friends do?
Our aim is to support our children’s education by working alongside the school and families to enrich learning experiences. We do this by raising money to invest in school resources and activities for children, and by organising extra-curricular events for children and their families.
Who are The Friends?
The Friends is a group of parents, guardians, and carers of children attending Cherry Hinton Primary School. If you’re one of these then you’re already part of The Friends community.
We're separate from teaching staff but invite the headteacher to join our committee meetings, and seek their guidance as to the activities we run and the use of the funds that we raise. We also solicit input from the pupil School Council and other people in the school community.
What activities do we run?
The activities that we run or support do vary year on year but have included the Christmas Fair, Book Club, bake and lolly sales, and summer picnics.
We use our funds to purchase additional resources for school that otherwise wouldn't be available - for the 18 - 19 academic year we invested in new raised beds for the garden area, a pergola for the outdoor space, AV system upgrade for the school hall, woodworking tools for craft activities, and other small initiatives.
How can I help?
Anyone caring for a child at our school can be part of The Friends in some way. We can only achieve what we do through the active support of our school community. There's lots of ways for you to be involved -
- Give your time - support one of our events by helping us to set up, run activities or clear up. You could sell cakes at a bake sale or run a craft table, do some digging and building in a garden space, help out at the Book Club on a Friday afternoon. And if one of these isn’t your cup of tea then we still want to hear from you - we may have other areas which we need help with
- Give financially - come to our events and take the opportunity to support the school financially while enjoying tasty cake, hoping for a win in a raffle, getting into the glitter and glue of a craft table, and generally having fun!
- Join the committee - the committee is formed of three officials - chair, treasurer and secretary - and up to five parent representatives. If you’d like to join the committee then please come to our September AGM where we elect our committee for the school year. We’re very happy to talk to you about the roles and responsibilities in advance of that meeting so do get in touch if that would be helpful
- Come along to a committee meeting - our committee meetings are open for our school community to attend
- Share your ideas - suggest how we can spend funds, or ideas for events
To get involved in any or all of these ways please contact us via email. If you would like us to keep you up to date with our activities and where we need help or feedback then please join our mailing list.
Committee for the 18-19 school year
The new committee will be elected at the AGM in September 19, open to all parents and carers to attend
Chair Howard Laffling
Treasurer Phil Le Gouais
Secretary Charis Murton
Sonia Gratwick (resigned Sept 19)
Our committee meetings are open for all parents and carers to join. We normally meet in the dining area at school.
Our most recent committee meeting was on 11 September and minutes for the meeting will soon be available.
Our AGM is scheduled for Wednesday, 25 September, 14:30 in the school hall. We need your input for decisions on how we spend money in the coming year, and in forming our new 19-20 committee - please come!